Monday, March 17, 2008

48 hours: Saturday

A ton of stuff was crammed in to the past 48 hours. I can mostly represent it with two separate posts to save the lines for those who still have dial up - as what I've got is mostly pictures and a few supplemental captions.

Saturday (aka: visit to the organic farm & a KnitPicks order arrives)

First, the farm.
Our good friend, Farmer Jay, runs an organic farm close to our house - and is the Head Honcho for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) that we were founding members of. We're currently taken a wee hiatus from the CSA as the Munch is on a major vegetable strike, and we can't quite keep up with both him and the volume of veggies that the CSA delivers on a weekly basis, but we hope to return to the fold before too long. Jay recently had some repair work done on his shoulder, and has been stuck at home unable to do even a tenth of what he normally does, and so I thought that maybe he'd like to see the Munchkin as a little pick-me-up. Plus I figured that the Munch would love to run around the farm and muck about in the dirt on such a fine, fine spring day.

We got to pick spinach & baby carrots from Jay's passive greenhouse, we checked his shiitake logs for any mushrooms that we could steal, wandered around his weathered and stuffed-full barn, marveled over his 1960s era tractor, and poked around happily in his worm bin.

Oh yeah, and the Munch played 'King of the Compost Pile' several times over.











Knit Picks:
After we got home from the farm, exhausted, filthy (the Munchkin, not me - he even had dirt deep in the toes of his frog boots!) and bearing a bag of freshly-sheared baby spinach from the greenhouse, I found that my KnitPicks order had finally arrived. Don't get me wrong, it didn't take too terribly long from the time I placed the order to the time the box arrived - it was more that it took me over two months to place the order, because every time I went to order the needle organizer that I finally had decided that I wanted, they were always Temporarily Out Of Stock.

Super-pointy size 0 (2.00mm) circs.


6 skeins of Risata - in their 'Cocoa' colourway for socks. Socks for Peggers & a pair of Chuck's Cabled Socks for me. I think I'm going to mix Ash (grey) & Cocoa for the cabled socks pretty much exactly like Mel did...

Size 1 (2.25mm) circs in the KnitPicks composite wood needle variety.

Extra organization pockets for my new needle organizer.
(Which I forgot to take a picture of. It's a zippered black rectangle. Use your imagination.)


After all of this arrived I promptly fondled & sniffed the sock yarn then tucked it safely away. Then I got out a million little labels and got down to gleefully labeling every pocket and stowing away my needles in their new little proper homes.

We Type A's do love our organizational tools.

2 comments:

Lola and Ava said...

After listening to my girls complain over who was more sick or how it was inappropriate to bring a boyfriend home when one was sick, I will take a dirty toddler any day of the week. Very envious of your time on the farm - ultra cool concept!

Anonymous said...

I also, finally received my needle organizer- what an angonizing wait- but well worth it! I am still in the process of organizing and labeling. Maybe we should have ordered 2 just in case?