Friday, July 28, 2006

Unwinding Eye Candy Friday


Mizz Whites had the lovely idea of an unwinding bit o' fun for a lazy (hot) Friday afternoon. Pictures of general loveliness that are all around you. Others have rightfully so adopted this practice, so who am I to argue with such collective genius?

(Now if I could just figure out how to permanently place this cute-as-a-button button in my right frame w/out stealing Mizz W's bandwith I'd be set for this hot and lazy Friday afternoon....) :>

This is my little one way back when he was actually little (about 2 years ago) with what had been - up until that time - one of my favorite shirts. He now weighs a whopping 85 pounds, has had one broken leg (mended courtesy of some wonderful emergency vet surgery and a huge metal plate and approximately 30-some screws) and has fairly recently been diagnosed with Addison's disease. So our baby, he's a troubled one, but still happy & overall quite healthy and still can chew up a leggo or stray knitting needle (!) with the best of them...

This is - so far - my one and only tree peony plant. They grow to be quite large (4-5 feet tall) and bloom lovely huge blooms in the spring. Unlike herbaceous peonies they do not die back to the ground every fall/winter - instead they remain all lovely twisted and gnarled and very much in-place until springtime comes at which point they once again bloom their lovely papery blooms. Some tree peonies (the national flower of China) live much beyond 100 years.

I've been quite sick for the last several weeks - so sick that finally I gave in and went to the doctor in a rush of sniffly misery - and while she was lovely her diagnosis (allergies) was less than satisfactory. For let's face it, who wants to know that what is making you so miserable is something in the air that can't be treated in lovely pill form and can't be simply STOPPED? However that very afternoon I saw the doctor we discovered a minorly huge infestation of mold in my office building - something that I am extremely sensitive to. So the mold has been eradicated and I am on prescription allergy meds and between these two things (and keeping my office door closed and the window as wide open as possible) I'm no longer as sniffly or miserable as I was at this time last week. Which is good because I went to the dentist this morning to get two (TWO!!!!!) cavities filled and with approximately 18 stainless sterilized dental tools of torture shoved in my mouth at once, breathing through my nose was an absolute necessity.

(And in an interesting side-note I discovered, just as the needle of novicane was on it's trajectory into my mouth, that my new dentist is none other than the unhappily-jilted ex-boyfriend of a co-worker acquaintance of mine. And as he's putting the needle into my gum and pressing that liquid oblivion into my face he says to me, quite casual, "Ah, so you know E? How is she doing these days?" And once and only once he was completely finished giving me all of the needed numbing shots for the day did I have the courage to tell him that she, in fact, is getting married this summer. To a married man she met while she was still dating said dentist. And that they got engaged after only knowing each other a week.)

If nothing else, it was just too much of a mouthful to say when you had a needle & syringe stuck in there as well..................

Happy Friday!

No comments: