Friday, August 25, 2006

Set the oven to 90 degrees (F) and bake for approx. 75 minutes....




Want to know what my afternoon was like????

Seriously, these horrid-quality (cellphone) pictures cannot even do the scene justice. Sitting there draped in BLACK fabric with a BLACK velvet hat on my head in the full sun around 11:30 AM (I know, 1 PM would have been hotter, but at 1 PM I would have just passed right out, so it wouldn't have mattered then) for well over an hour.

The worst was when the sweat running down my lower back actually seemed to PUDDLE in my seat. I stood up with wet trousers and a soaked t-shirt - - and brilliant me wore a white t-shirt today, folks!

So off to the (blissfully) AC'd office to dry off in privacy and apply extra deoderant and a spritz of perfume..................

Needless to say, no knitting was done in any of that. Mostly because the last time I knit in such an official gathering (Spring '06 graduation) someone actually called the President's office to complain about me. ME! Because I was knitting! Obviously neither a crafty sort of person nor a person with any sort of perception of how truly mind-numbing these events are for those of us who attend them TWICE per year. Each graduation ceremony lasts approximately 2-3 hours. HOURS. Tell me that's not just perfect knitting time waiting to be taken advantage of???

A fellow knitter would be doubly sympathetic - not only would s/he know that I was totally in the right to knit and thereby keep the top of my head from exploding by the endless droning of names (I only pulled out the baby sweater(s) when the recitation of names started - I was polite & waited with my hands carefully folded until the speeches and recitations & music interludes were all over) but a fellow knitter would know that you can TOTALLY knit and listen to a bunch of names being read at the same time. I mean, please - it wasn't like I was doing lace or anything..... My friend sitting next to me actually paid less attention - he was reading a book & kept letting out these rather loud snorts of laughter. The science faculty member next to him was playing Yahtzee. (is that how you spell it?) But nooooo.....it's the knitter who gets the angry call...............

So after that I figured any time that a set of parents was around I should probably keep my knitting to myself.

(And last night I fell asleep around the stunningly early hour of 9:30, so literally NO knitting was done last night either.)

But stay tuned! Classes start on Monday so life will soon be back to *normal* for me. Yipee! Even better, I'm team teaching a CMAT class this semester, which should provide me with some good knitting opportunities THREE TIMES a week for a full hour (!) as well as some good meetings during which I will certainly be 'permitted' to knit by my meeting-mates....

So Eye Candy Friday? Hmmmmmm...............I'm going to have to do some DEEP digging in my old pics for this one.......................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! The profs & staff I spoke with last week gave a resounding "Who the hell had the bright idea to hold this in R-- S-----! I'm not going to be there!"

Seems to be a crowd still in your pics. A total Duh! moment. Covering yourself in yarn, even that gorgeous silky Woodland of R's clapotis would have been insane! Re-hydrate and get busy tomorrow!! LOL!

Going to blather about my own DUH! moments soon--come over for a read when you can.

Kate A. said...

You know why some people get irrationally angry about knitters in public, don't you? ....jealousy. The other ones, who don't get angry, just don't know what they're missing. Or, they mistakenly believe you to be knitting with something un-fun, like acrylic.